Join us to learn about the latest community energy activity, whole systems approach and LAEPs, and discuss the next steps for the sector.
This event brings together Community Energy England, Power to Change's Next Generation project and the five Local Energy Hubs. We want to:
- Share learning from Rural Community Energy Fund projects recently implemented or currently in development, and the Next Generation organisations that have trialled numerous innovative ideas and business models.
- Introduce a whole systems approach and Local Area Energy Plans and engage with the needs and barriers that are part of community energy expanding into these opportunities and innovation.
The event will be held online and will be recorded so we can publish it on YouTube afterwards.
We have designed the schedule so it has several long breaks, to prevent Zoom-fatigue and allow you to keep up with other responsibilities during the day. You are also welcome just to join for the sessions you're interested in.
10:00-10:20am - Intro
10:20-11:00am - What’s working now in community energy
- What project components and knowledge do you need to make private wire generation work?
- What can successful Next Generation applicants/projects teach other organisations?
11:30-12:20 - Pathways to more community energy
- Building a partnership with your local authority over time
- Local authority procurement of energy/generation – how to approach your local authority and propose the arrangement
1:30-2:15pm - Importance of whole systems approach to community energy
- What is involved in a whole systems approach and why should community energy organisations learn about/engage with it?
- Introduction to Local Area Energy Planning and relevance to community energy sector
2:15-2:45pm - Discussion
How are you currently engaging with a whole energy system approach? What’s holding you back?
3:15-4:00 - Driving forward Local Area Energy Planning, innovation projects and whole systems approach
- Key barriers to innovation project financial viability and replicability, particularly if other organisations may be able to get around these barriers
- How can community energy organisations drive the integration of local authority energy procurement, LAEPs and network constraints/flexibility services?
4:00-4:30pm - Discussion
What is your organisation planning to do next? What do you need to raise ambition and engage with whole systems projects?
4:30-4:45pm - Wrap up & close