Application: the post is quick turnaround, application by email, we will interview preferred candidate(s)
Deadline: February 7th 2020
Time: 0.8 - 1 FTE
Start date: February/March 2020
End date: February/March 2021
Application: Please submit a recent CV along with a maximum one A4 page covering letter outlining your
suitability and how you meet the essential elements of the role as outlined below.
Carbon Co-op is a fast growing not-for-profit energy services co-operative based in Greater Manchester.
We are a non-profit community benefit society whose objectives are to support the rapid decarbonisation of the UK by working with householders to achieve large meaningful carbon emission reductions through changing their home energy use. We pilot innovative projects in the area of householder energy and provide
support services to householder members and the wider community.
We are seeking a motivated, capable person to support demonstration activity in our UK government funded innovation project - OpenDSR - in the area of smart and flexible energy systems. You will work closely with a team of engineers and the project manager to support the delivery and demonstration of a new service for enabling domestic demand side response.
The role is fixed-term until the end of the project in February 2021, though there may be an option to extend the contract beyond this point. The role is based at Carbon Co-op's office in central Manchester - some flexible work hours can be considered by request though work at the office is normally required in core
office hours of 10am - 4pm. You will also need to be able to respond to customer support requests during business hours. We operate a self-management, team-based system and you will work initially in the project team but there will be opportunities to move into other roles within the organisation at a later stage.
We need assistance in the following areas:
● Recruitment of current and prospective members/participants.
● Booking and co-ordinating installations of electrical equipment in homes and ongoing frontline
customer support associated with these installations.
● Supporting the project manager in reporting to funders and stakeholders.
● Supporting dissemination of project outputs through events and other activities.
● Adding and updating data in our helpdesk/CRM systems.
● Managing social media and other channels for the project in cooperation with the marketing team.
● Running the recruitment programme.
● Responding promptly to support requests.
● Liaising between installers and householders to ensure access to properties for contractors.
● Dealing with householder questions and issues, or signposting them to people who can help them through our helpdesk.
● Collecting and storing project related data.
● Helping to prepare project-related reports.
● Booking travel for staff members involved in project delivery.
● Working with technical staff to help improve user experience.
4. Outline of the role
The role requires the person to possess a mixture of skills and aptitudes.
i) Skills and experience
● Experience of marketing, sales, and/or communications.
● Experience of creating or commissioning promotional materials to support participant recruitment
● Experience of administration eg filing, documentation, information management etc.
● General competency in IT - familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet applications, eg Microsoft Word and Excel.
● Experience of liaising with householders, customers, members of the general public etc.
● Experience of dealing with construction sector contractors and other providers.
● Experience of using a customer relationship management system (e.g. CiviCRM) and customer
support software (e.g. freshdesk).
● Experience of marketing, sales, and/or communications in the energy or technology sector.
● Experience of report writing and data collection.
● Experience of the customer relationship management cycle.
● Sales experience.
● Understanding of energy technology innovation areas e.g. smart meters, electric vehicles, batteries etc.
● Experience of co-operatives and social enterprises or the Community Energy sector.
● Experience of working with software developers to improve products and services in a product
advocate/owner role or otherwise.
ii) Person specification
● Excellent communication skills with the ability to create effective communications materials (eg paper-based, web-based etc) for householders and to talk to householders in person or on the
phone as and when necessary.
● Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
● Very organised with the ability to quickly and effectively prioritise tasks.
● An excellent verbal and written communicator, enthusiastic and engaging.
● Able to deal patiently and sympathetically with householders and customers, able to proactively solve their problems.
● Ability to organise oneself and others to ensure timely delivery of activities and outputs.
● Enthusiastic, positive and a problem solver.
● Motivated by environmental and social justice concerns
5. For more information
Contact: Ben Aylott, firstname.lastname@example.org, 07912698992