ABOUT SSCESSCE is a community benefit society, owned and run by its members and volunteers. It runs two very successful projects based on solar panel installations on the roofs of community and hospital trust buildings in Staffordshire. The panels have saved many tonnes of CO2 emissions, and the Society’s financial surplus is used to make grants for local environmentally beneficial projects and to enable an innovative and exemplar referral service which helps those with health conditions related to cold, damp homes. The latter service, entitled ‘Saving Lives with Solar,’ is run in conjunction with the University Hospitals of North Midlands and the charity Beat the Cold, and has very recently won the 2020 BMJ award for Environmental Sustainability and Climate Action in Healthcare.
The Society is ambitious and is actively looking at future projects in which it may engage and make further contributions to the reduction of CO2 emissions and the wellbeing of the community.
ABOUT THE SOCIETY SECRETARY
In summary, the Secretary is responsible for:
- upholding the requirements of the governing document and legislation relating to community benefit societies;
- organising, attending, and taking minutes of, quarterly Board meetings and annual general meetings 1;
- ensuring the timely and accurate submission of the Annual Return to the Financial Conduct Authority;
- performing administrative tasks and keeping records;
- liaising with our administrative contractor to carry out the above-mentioned responsibilities;
1 Board meetings are currently held on a Tuesday morning.
There will be opportunities to get involved in other aspects of our work and any future projects if wished. The position is unremunerated, though expenses incurred can be reclaimed.
- a good knowledge of governance of an organisation;
- competent at producing minutes;
- good organisational and communication skills and an eye for detail;
- an ability to work as part of a team.
It would also be an advantage to have:
- some knowledge of what a community benefit society is and how it differs from a company;
- experience of hosting Zoom on-line meetings.
- An interest in renewable energy, reducing CO2 emissions, and/or creating benefit for the community.
Applicants should submit a one-page CV with a covering letter to Andrea Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org .