CCS is a community benefit society owned and run by its members and volunteers. It owns and operates solar PV systems on the roofs of 314 bungalows owned by Cannock Chase District Council; these it had installed in 2015 with £1M raised by means of a community share offer and an ethical loan. The systems have made, and continue to make, significant savings in CO2 emissions and, as the energy generated is free to the tenants, it helps to make their energy bills more affordable. The project won the award for the best Community Power Project at the Community Energy Awards 2015.
The Board is ambitious and is actively involved in the Zero Carbon Project, run by Engie in partnership with Keele University, the aim of which is to design a smart energy network for the town of Rugeley in Staffordshire. It is also seeking ways in which to maximise the benefit to the community of the energy the Society’s panels generate.
ABOUT THE VACANCY
In summary, the Secretary is responsible for:
- upholding the requirements of the governing document and legislation relating to community benefit societies;
- organising, attending, and taking minutes of, quarterly Board meetings and annual general meetings 1;
- ensuring the timely and accurate submission of the Annual Return to the Financial Conduct Authority;
- performing administrative tasks and keeping records;
- liaising with our administrative contractor to carry out the above-mentioned responsibilities;
1 Board meetings are currently held on a Tuesday morning.
There will be opportunities to get involved in other aspects of our work and any future projects if wished. The position is unremunerated, though expenses incurred can be reclaimed.
- a good knowledge of governance of an organisation;
- competent at producing minutes;
- good organisational and communication skills and an eye for detail;
- an ability to work as part of a team.
It would also be an advantage to have:
- some knowledge of what a community benefit society is and how it differs from a company;
- experience of hosting Zoom on-line meetings.
- An interest in renewable energy, reducing CO2 emissions, and/or creating benefit for the community.
Applicants should submit a one-page CV with a covering letter to Andrea Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org .