Mongoose Energy launches UK’s first dedicated crowdfunding platform for community energy offering UK investors cleaner energy, tax-free financial returns, and better social dividends.
The UK’s leading community energy company Mongoose Energy today launched a new crowdfunding platform – Mongoose Crowd – to serve thousands of active community energy investors in the UK. Mongoose Crowd connects its investors with UK community energy projects that target better financial returns, lower environmental impacts and positive social dividends. For the first time, UK investors will be able to crowdfund community energy bonds within a tax-free Individual Savings Account (ISA) wrapper, regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Mongoose Energy’s model for developing and managing community energy assets is changing the way energy is generated, bought and sold in the UK. The company is majority-owned by 10 of the UK’s leading community energy groups. Launching its own crowdfunding platform will enable Mongoose to attract a wider group of new and existing UK investors to its projects, allowing them to:
- Join a growing community of impact investors taking control of where to invest their capital
- Invest in community energy on an investment platform built by communities for communities
- Invest directly into bonds that finance local renewable energy projects and cut UK emissions
- Invest up to £20,000 a year in renewable energy projects via a tax-free ISA wrapper
- Invest in community energy projects for the first time on a fully FCA-regulated platform.
Until recently, Mongoose Energy raised money for community projects on third-party platforms, but believes hosting its own crowdfunding platform will make it easier to innovate and grow: offering more investors a wider portfolio of projects to invest in and target returns that are expected to beat the interest a typical savings account will offer.