Flexibility & network services
In order for increasingly localised and decentralised renewable generation projects, energy storage and electric vehicle charging to function effectively without an overhaul to the local and national grid networks, new approaches for flexibility need to be built into future energy systems and markets.
Guides to flexibility and demand-side services
- Low Carbon Hub - webinar on the role of flexibility in a net zero energy system (watch below).
- Carbon Co-op and Regen - guide to local flexibility markets and how community energy organisations can get involved (download below).
It can be challenging to build a viable business case around providing network flexibility services. The ENA has produced a guide on how to "stack" revenues from different flexibility markets (e.g. by contracting both with your regional distribution network operator and the national transmission network operator at the same time) - download below.
Distribution network operators' (DNOs) requirements and auctions
- Piclo Flex is an online marketplace where distribution network operators (DNOs) publish their future flexibility requirements and conduct auctions for the services they need.
- Electricity North West's flexibility services
- Northern Powergrid's flexibility services
- Scottish & Southern Energy Networks' flexibility services
- UK Power Networks' flexibility services
- Western Power Distribution's flexibility services
Community energy projects
- Flexitricity - Balancing Mechanism Wider Access Webinar
- Low Carbon Hub Webinars | The Role of Flexibility in a Net Zero Energy System