Data & digital
The collection, aggregation and sharing of data is a vital component of how we will reach net zero. It underpins business models and allows for the demonstration of environmental and community benefit. There is no one size fits all approach to how data is recorded but ensuring the interoperability of methods could allow for further growth of renewables in a flexible energy system of the future.
Community energy initiatives at the cutting edge of data sharing:
- Carbon Co-op - Energy Data Co-operative.
- Energy Local.
- OpenLV - guidebook for community organisations using substation data (Sept 2020, download below).
Distribution network operator resources:
- Northern Powergrid - Demand Availability Map and Generation Availability Map.
- Western Power Distribution - Common Information Models (CIM) allow their network and its assets to be viewed schematically.
- Western Power Distribution - energy data hub.
- National Grid ESO (Energy System Operator) - Future Energy Scenarios predicting how the energy system will evolve.